To enroll in the Southern Cherokee Nation, you must be able to prove through documentation (birth certificates, death certificates, census records, family records and bibles, newspaper articles, etc.) your direct descent from a Southern Cherokee in order to be a successor in interest to the Treaty of 1866. This is proven through having connected directly to someone listed on Stand Watie's regiments, along with the proof that the person listed on the regiments is of Cherokee blood and/or proving direct descent from a person listed on the 1867 Tompkins Roll. This roll was done by the U.S. government in order to identify the parties to the Treaty of 1866.

Once you have established your entire line of descent, please submit all documents showing your line of descent to the tribal office, along with your name, address, phone number, email (if you wish) and a full-face photo. The enrollment cards we issue are photo ID. If the person wishing to be enrolled is a married female, you will also have to submit a copy of the marriage license(s) in order to complete direct line to the present legal name as you would sign on any document. If the woman has been married more than once and did not take back her maiden name during divorce proceedings, we will need to have each marriage license in order to verify progression from birth name to present name. Your file will be reviewed by the tribal clerk and if any documentation is missing, you will be notified in writing by the tribal clerk as to what documents are necessary to complete your file. If all documentation is there, the file will then be sent on to the Council for final review and approval. Once approval is received from Council, the tribal clerk will issue your enrollment card. If you wish to enroll any minor children at the same time as you submit your file, please include their birth certificate with your file. A photo is not required for children under the age of 18 as they will be issued a minor card until they reach the age of 18 at which time the child is to submit a photo, current address and phone number and an adult card will be issued. If you have adult children who wish to be enrolled, you may submit their birth certificate, address, phone number and a photo at the same time as you submit your file and they will also be considered at the same time for enrollment. Tribal enrollment is maintained with a filing system which denotes all family group connections.

Additionally, the Southern Cherokee would also include all persons who served in the numerous Cherokee Regiments which fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War. These would include but not be limited to the Cherokee regiments which were part of the Thomas Legion out of North Carolina. Furthermore, any person who is presently a member of another tribe i.e. the Eastern Band of Cherokee or the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, would not be eligible for enrollment with the Southern Cherokee. This is made evident upon review of the Bureau of Ethnology which can be found within the Historical Documents on our History link.

To submit a file, please mail all documents to:

16178 E 243RD ST S


If you have any questions, please feel free to call the tribal office at 918-464-2753.

Maintenance/Hosting by Arvixe. Graphic Design by Jessica Greenwalt.